A lot of people around the world like chewing gum. It’s hard to say no to sweet, colorful gum, because they leave a pleasant taste in our mouths. Chewing gum not only refreshes the breath, but also provides numerous health benefits. Several studies show that gum can help overcome cigarette cravings and boost memory. So, what are the health benefits of gum? Does chewing gum make you lose weight? Here are the benefits of chewing gum and research on gum…
Chewing gum is a habit most of us have from our childhood. Sometimes we prefer chewing gum to protect ourselves from junk food and sometimes to calm our nerves. Chewing gum for whatever reason is among the habits of most of us.
With a population of 270 million, the United States ‘ chewing gum consumption is 46 billion units per year. That is, 184 gum drops per person in the United States. Did you know that the gum we enjoy chewing is actually beneficial to our health?
Benefits Of Chewing Gum
- Helps in weight control: Gum is practical, cheap and low calorie. A sugared gum is about 5 to 10 calories. Sugar-free ones may also be preferred. Chewing gum is a great way to prevent snacks and reduce calorie intake.
- Reduces appetite: Chewing Gum helps to control appetite. The study, published in 2007 in the journal Appetite, shows that chewing gum before an afternoon snack helps reduce hunger and calorie intake.
- It takes calories: In an experiment, Mayo Clinic experts calculated that chewing gum can burn 11 calories per hour.
- It causes you to eat less at meals: In a study, it was observed that adults chewing gum for 15 minutes at one hour intervals during a three-hour period before the mid-afternoon snacks ate 36 calories less than those who did not chew gum. Whether it is sugar-free or normal, it doesn’t make any difference and both help to eat less.
- You can have the option as a snack: Chewing gum can replace low-calorie snacks as well as high-calorie snacks. In this way, instead of eating 140-calorie chocolate chip cookie chewing gum 20 calories, you do not get an extra 120 calories.
- Increases concentration and relieves stress: Chewing Gum is one of the easiest ways if you’re looking for simple ways to increase concentration and relieve tension. According to studies, chewing gum increases alertness and concentration and reduces the daily stress of life.
- It increases blood flow to the brain: Many athletes and their coaches prefer to chew gum during the game to stay calm and reduce tension. At the same time, some teachers argue that the rule on chewing gum in schools should be changed and that chewing gum during exams will better ensure their alertness and concentration. Recent research shows that chewing gum increases blood flow from the veins to the brain by 25 percent. Another study, published in 2002 in the journal Appetite, shows that chewing gum also increases individuals ‘ ability to learn, keep in mind, and access information.
- Promotes oral and dental health: It is known by everyone that chewing gum helps keep our breath fresh. In addition, it increases the salivation which is the most powerful defense mechanism in the body. Therefore, chewing gum during the day would be a good option. Sugar-free gum promotes oral health in many ways. It prevents the formation of plaques and caries, repairs mineral disorders in tooth enamel, prevents the formation of tooth stains, reduces the ones. A healthy mouth is directly related to a healthy body. Bacterial ingestion by mouth leads to various diseases.
So, does chewing gum lose weight? As a result, considering the benefits mentioned above, chewing gum will help you lose weight.
Tips for Weight Control with Gum
You have eaten too much or you can’t stop yourself, you can start chewing gum right away. You can suppress this motive by chewing gum when you want to eat high-calorie junk food.
Does stress make you eat more? You can try to reduce your stress and avoid snacks by chewing gum. Chewing gum while cooking will prevent you from snacking on the pretext of tasting during preparation.
Don’t Overdo It
Most sugar-free gum contains sorbitol, which is less calorie sweetener. Sorbitol is a type of sugar that is rarely absorbed by the small intestine and may have a laxative effect. A study in the British Medical Journal found that over-consumption of sorbitol-containing gums (15-20 bars per day) caused chronic diarrhea, pain, and unexplained cases of weakening.
In addition, experts say that chewing gum will strengthen facial muscles and help you get rid of facial fat more easily and will help to reduce the thinning of the face. You can find a health review here. You can also check out other weight loss recommendations on our site.